Challenges in Interpreting a Postmodern Text
Crashing Conventions: A New Look at Teaching English Language
Spinning Centres and Spiralling Margins: New Feminisms & Identity Politics in Literature
New Historicism: Theory and Practice
Pandemic, Survival & Fragile Justice
Pandemic and Quarantine: Redrafting Life & Literature
Gender and Women in Indian Writing in English
Tracing Trajectories: An Overview to the Study of English Literature
The Language Debates in Affrican Studies
Response of Indian Politics in the novels of Indian Diaspora: An Interpretation
Displacement to Double Displacement: Revisiting Diaspora Literature
Creative Writing Club
The Department of English has an active Creative Writing Club. It is open to all UG and PG students who are interested in writing poetry, prose, short stories, plays, song lyrics, novels, and other genres. The purpose of the Creative Writing Club is to provide a positive and productive atmosphere for developing student writers to integrate, learn and progress. Students enroll from all the disciplines.
The Department of English has an active Reading Club which creates reading space. It has a unique library to facilitate the students of English. The students could avail books according to their own tastes. This club encourages all genres of reading. It promotes their interpersonal and competitive skills.
The students of our department were the runner up in the intercollegiate meet held in A.K. Dharmaraja Women’s College, Rajapalayam on 20th Feb. 2016.
The students of our department won overall third place in the intercollegiate meet held at Sri Kaliswari College, Sivakasi on 22nd Sep. 2016 Rishi Bakkesh of II B.A Eng, published Varigal- An Anthology of 40 Tamil poems on 22nd Dec. 2017.
The students of our department bagged the runner up in the intercollegiate meet held in Gandhigram Rural Institute, Dindigul on 22nd Feb. 2018.
S. Satheesh from III B. A Eng, published a collection of Tamil poems Ella Sivappum Unthan Kopam on 18th April 2018.
A Jeya Priya from III B. A Eng, published a collection of Tamil poems Tamilil Kadhal Salanam on 18th April 2018.
MoU with Schools, Industries, organizations
A Memorandum of Understanding is executed between Department of English, Mannar Thirumalai Naicker College, Madurai and the Headmaster, Government Kallar High School, Thanakkankulam Madurai for the purpose of providing Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing Skills to the underprivileged students of the School on 28.08.2018.
A Memorandum of Understanding is executed between E.M.G. Yadava Women’s College, Madurai and Mannar Thirumalai Naicker Madurai to academically collaborate with regarding Faculty and Student Visits, Faculty and Student Exchange, Mini Projects, English Language Teaching Internship, Research and development Internship, Training Programmes and Guest Lectures on 24.02.2020.
2015 - 2016
- The department of English organised a Guest Lecture under the auspices of the Eliot circle Association at the seminar hall on 13th July 2015. Dr. J. Samuel Kirubakaran, Associate Professor of English, VHNSN College, Virudhunagar, inaugurated the Eliot circle and delivered a lecture on “The Scope and Joy of Reading Literature”.
- The Department of English organised a Guest Lecture under the auspicious of the Eliot circle Association on 6th Aug 2015 at 11:00 a.m. at our college seminar hall. Dr.R. Chakkravarthy, Head and Associate Professor, Department of English, G.T.N Arts college, Dindigul delivered the guest lecture on “Pain and Pleasure of Reading Literature”.
- The Department of English in collaboration with PG & Research Department of English, The American College organised a UGC sponsored National Seminar on Literature of the Marginalised: Fourth World Literature on 29th August 2015. Dr. T. Marx, Associate Professor of English, Pondicherry University, Pondicherry and Ms. P. Sivagami , IAS,Social Activist,Chennai served as Resource persons. 525 participants participated and 81 articles were published in two volumes with ISBN No: 936539939-X.
- The Department of English organised guest lecture under the auspicious of the Eliot circle Association at the seminar hall on 18th Dec 2015. Dr. G. Beulah, Assistant Professor of English, Sri Meenakshi Govn. Arts College for women (Autonomous) Madurai delivered a lecture on “My Journey with Literature”.
- The Department of English organised an International Workshop on “Communicating the Third space: A special Reference to African Literature, on 6th Jan 2016. Dr. Jessie Furvin, Professor of English, Department of African Languages and Literature, university of Swaziland, Southern Africa delivered the Guest Lecture. More than 400 candidates, scholars, students and professors participated in the workshop.
- The department of English organised “Mannar Fest 2016”, a state level Inter-collegiate meet on Literary Nonsense at Andalammal Moorthy Naidu seminar hall on 6th feb 2016 at 9:30 am. Dr.M. Lawrence, Associate professor of English, The American College, Madurai delivered the Guest Lecture. Dr. S. Nehru, The Principal presides. Students from twenty two institutions in and around Madurai participated. Meenakshi College for women (Autonomous) Madurai, students won first prize and they received cash award of Rs.10,000 and Jamal Mohamed college, Trichy students won second prize and they received a cash award of Rs. 5000.
- The Department of English organised a State level workshop on “Post-Colonial Aura and The celebration of the “other”” on 15th Mar, 2016 under Autonomy grant. Prof. Samuel Rufuz, Assistant Professor of English, Madras Christian College, Chennai delivered the guest Lecture. P.G students, M.Phil students, Assistant and Associate Professors from 15 colleges in and around Madurai participated in the workshop.
- Ms. AniruthiyaPandiskumar of II B.A., English Literature brought laurel to the Department of English and the institution as she was one of the four students selected from India to participate in the Study of U.S. Institutes for Students Leaders on Women’s Leadership, an exchange program which is hosted and conducted by the University of Kansas from 27th June to 1st August 2015. The Management and the Staff and the students of the Department of English arranged a Felicitation Function on 25th June 2015.
- For the first time in Tamil Nadu, Rev. G.W. Cox’s Orpheus and Eurydice, a short story was filmed by using animation and computer graphics.
- The Department of English organised a Guest Lecture on Why Study Literature? Under the auspices of Eliot circle (Inaugural Function) on 29 July 2016 professor N. Elango, Associate Professor and Head, PG Department of English, The American College, Madurai delivered the Guest Lecture.
- The Department of English organised a Guest Lecture on 26 August 2016 under the auspices of Eliot Circle. Professor M.P.R. Rajasekaran, Formerly Professor of English, Sourashtra College, Madurai delivered a Guest Lecture on `Pleasures of Reading.
- The Department of English organised a special lecture on “State of Journalism in Bharath Today” on 22nd October 2016. Mr. B. Muralidhar Reddy, Associate Editor, The Hindu, New Delhi delivered the special lecture.
- The UG and Research Department of English organised an International Conference on “Literary Theories” on 17.12.2016 Under Autonomy Grant. Mrs. D. Vimala, Assistant Professor of English is the Organizing Secretary. Dr. A. Joseph Dorairaj, Professor, Faculty of English and Foreign Languages, The Gandhigram Rural Institute-Deemed University, Gandhigram delivered the Keynote Address. During the Plenary Session, Dr. Sushma V. Murthy, Associate Professor of English, Christ University, Bangalore delivered a special address on “Deconstruction In Progress: Signifying Post-Derridean Contexts”. During the post Lunch Session, Dr. Jessie Furvin, Department of African Languages, University of Swaziland, Southern Africa delivered a special lecture on “History, Nation and Consciousness: Theorizing Colonialism/Postcolonialism. During the valedictory session, Dr. J. John Sekar, Associate Professor of English and Head, U.G. and Research Department of English addressed the audience. Totally 692 participants –delegates, scholars and students from 57 various institutions across the country attended the Conference.
- Mannar Thirumalai Naicker College (Autonomous), Madurai Inaugurates Research Centre of English on 17th December 2016. Prof. M.K. Sripathy, former Principal & H.O.D. of English, the chief-guest inaugurates at 8:30 a.m. The Principal, Dr. S. Nehru presides.
- The Department of English organised a Guest Lecture under the auspices of Eliot Circle on 10th March 2017. Dr. A. R. Uma, Assistant Professor of English, Saraswathi Narayanan College, Madurai delivered a lecture on ‘Eco-Conscious Literatures.’
- The Department of English organised a Guest Lecture under the auspices of Eliot Circle on 20.07.2017. Dr. Rachael Barnabas, Head, Department of English Lady Doak College delivered the guest lecture on ‘ Importance of Communication’ .
- The Department of English organised a Book Release Function on 22.12.2017. N. Rishi Bakkesh of II B. A., English Literature published a book entitled Varigal, an anthology of forty Tamil poems. Dr. S. Nehru, the Principal released the First Copy of the book. Dr. A. Arjunan, Head, Department of English felicitated.
- The Department of English organised a Guest Lecture under the auspices of Eliot Circle on 11.12.2017. Prof. Dr. T. Ravichandran, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh delivered the guest lecture on “Understanding a Post-Modern Text”.
Publication of an edited volume entitled African Frenzy Volume –I (A Collection of African Short Stories) by Dr.A.Ramasubbiah.
Blessing Peacocks, an anthology of Poems in English by Dr. V.P. Rathi